everettpantaloons

everettpantaloons

Film Art: An Introduction
David Bordwell, Kristin Thompson
Hit-Girl - Mark Millar, John Romita Jr. There's really not much to say about this at all. It's one of the most boring, uneventful, and unnecessary things I've ever read.

A prelude to Kick-Ass 2, bridging the gap between Kick-Ass and its sequel, it follows fan-favorite Hit-Girl, the 12 year-old assassin. While I don't dislike Hit-Girl, I'm not the super-fan many seem to be, though I can admit that in a story with poorly crafted characters, Hit-Girl is one of the more enjoyable of the lot. Deserving enough of her own comic? Perhaps. Though this certainly wasn't the way to go about it.

The first Kick-Ass tried to be deep and failed, but it was still fairly enjoyable. Hit-Girl doesn't even make an attempt at deeper meaning, which would be completely fine if it was enjoyable. Which it isn't. There's less action than there was in Kick-Ass, the art isn't nearly as operatic, and a good majority of the comic deals with Hit-Girl trying to fit in at school and talking to her parents. It lacks the over-the-top action and gore that Kick-Ass had going for it, and for some reason, in a book about the franchise's most over-the-top and violent character, Mark Millar decided to leave out much of the over-the-top violence.

This book, like Kick-Ass, is a reference-fest and nearly all the humor stems from references to other comic books. As a comic nerd I can't help but take some enjoyment in noticing certain references and allusions, but there's a limit, especially when the humor is so dependent on such easy writing.

This comic is just so goddamn dull. I guarantee I will not remember a single thing about these five issues within a couple of days. Why? Because nothing happened. Hit-Girl as a character barely even gets developed at all. Red Mist has his mind set on killing Kick-Ass, which we already knew from the end of the original comic. Kick-Ass only appears for a few panels, but we do learn that Hit-Girl will begin training him. You know who this comic's really about? Marcus, Hit-Girl's stepfather. He's a new character and we get to know him a lot in here, and he even directly effects Hit-Girl's actions. But I really don't give a shit about Marcus.

I was hoping that this spin-off would give up on trying to hold any deeper meaning (which it did), and increase the fun, over-the-top features (which it did the opposite of). And without any meaning or mindless fun, what is left?

Face it, this comic was unnecessary and likely an afterthought. It can hardly even be considered a bridge between Kick-Ass 1 and 2, and it was published after Kick-Ass 2 was released anyway. I suspect this mini-series is just a cash-in on Hit-Girl's, and the two Kick-Ass books', popularity.