everettpantaloons

everettpantaloons

Film Art: An Introduction
David Bordwell, Kristin Thompson
Alone Against Tomorrow: Stories of Alienation in Speculative Fiction - Harlan Ellison I will rate each short story individually as I read them, though the final overall score is not necessarily an aggregated average.

I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream: 5/5
Perhaps my favorite Ellison story. I've read it about a dozen times and I'm still not completely sure why I like it so much. Just very enjoyable to read.
The Discarded: 4/5
Deeper than the Darkness: 4/5
Blind Lightning: 3/5
A good story, I just didn't care for it too much.
All the Sounds of Fear: 2.5/5
I may have to re-read this one because I've heard many say that they loved this one. I will admit this would make an awesome Twilight Zone episode.
The Silver Corridor: 3/5
Not bad. A little idiotic but enjoyable.
"Repent, Harlequin!" said the Ticktockman: 5/5
Another Ellison classic. Very much enjoyed, plus the main character shares my first name. I also wonder if Vonnegut got his "So it goes" line which he uses in Slaughterhouse-five from here. This was published years before and it uses the repeating phrase "and so it goes" just like Vonnegut did. Very curious.
Bright Eyes: 5/5
Holy shit, the imagery in this one is amazing and grotesque, Great atmosphere.
Are You Listening?: 5/5
An eerie, Twilight Zone-esque story. In fact, I think an episode may have been based on this.
Try a Dull Knife: 3/5
In Lonely Lands: 1/5
This story completely left my mind about 10 seconds after I finished it.
Eyes of Dust: 4/5
To me, this is Ellison's most poetic and beautiful story.
Nothing for My Noon Meal: 3/5
O Ye of Little Faith: 2/5
The Time of the Eye: 4.5/5
Life Hutch: 4/5
He he, this one is such typical sci-fi but it's awesome.
The Very Last Day of a Good Woman: 3.5/5
An odd story.
Night Vigil: 3.5/5
A great atmospheric story but still somewhat unsatisfying. It's kind of funny that the guy set to watch was relieved and fulfilled only by the enemy's arrival, just so he can warn Earth.
Lonelyache:
Pennies, Off a Dead Man's Eyes: 4/5

In conclusion Ellison is one of my favorites. Though he can sometimes be a mixed batched. I like that this collection has a theme of loneliness and alienation and every story deals with that subject. It's a subject I'm quite fond of. Yeah, thumbs up.